If you don’t have an account with us, you’ll need one to post an ad. Register an account, then click on ‘Post an ad’ to start.
Anything I should know before I post?
Yes. We have some rules for posting ads on the site. Some are for all ads, others depending on the type of ad you want to post. Try to have a quick read through them, to avoid us having to contact you to change something.
The first things you’ll have to choose are the category you want your ad to go in, and the location you’re going to post under. These are vital steps, and details you won’t be able to change once the ad is live.
It’s important to choose the category well because you’ll get more exposure. No one will look for a puppy in the For Sale section, because they’ll look in the Pets section instead. There’s a category for everything, and it's now that much easier to find. Use the 'Tell us what you are posting' option - you'll just need to type in whatever it is you're selling, and we'll tell you where the best place to post it is!
Location is equally as important. Because we are a local classifieds site, people look for local buys. They want to view the item and pay in person. Posting in your location, as a seller, means that people can come look at the item, and most times this gets you a quicker sale.
The techy tips:
- Categories break down into sub-categories, so keep breaking down to be as specific as possible if you don't want to type in what you're selling.
- You can select your location either manually (using drop-down options) or by using your postcode. Using your postcode will allow you to get a cool map on your ad to show people where you are, if you want it.
On the next page you’ll be able to write up a title and description for your ad. You can add photos to help your ad stand out on the listings. You can also add a link to a YouTube video or your website if you want to. The more visual you make it, the more views you’ll get.
You can also add features to your ad to help you get more exposure. There are five features you can choose from, and they all have different functions. Make sure you choose the one that’s best for you by reading about that they do before you buy them.
You’ll need to put a price on the ad as well. Give people the actual price. It’s annoying when you ask someone about the price, and they give you a different one to what was actually written on the ad.
What will my ad cost me?
Great question. There is no one price. Most of the ads on Gumtree are free, and the price will depend on whether you choose to feature your ad or not. We do charge for ads posted in Cars, Services, Property and Jobs though. The best way to know what it’s gonna cost you is to create a test ad (without posting it). Your price will be quoted at the bottom of the page.
Last tip: After you post an ad you’ll be given an ad reference number or ad ID. Make a note of it, so if you ever need to contact us, we’ll be able to find your ad straight away.
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars