What are the benefits of using PayPal?
You could be protected by PayPal Buyer Protection.
What is Buyer Protection?
If your seller posts something to you and it doesn’t turn up or it’s not as they described it, you might be able to get your money back. PayPal might even cover postage and packaging.
Take a look at PayPal’s terms and conditions to find out what information you need to make a claim.
What does Buyer Protection cover?
If you use 'PayPal - Family & Friends' or 'PayPal.me', you won't be able to get your money back. Use 'PayPal - Service' when sending money to people you don't know. You need to have used the 'Purchase' option on PayPal. ‘Personal’ payments don’t count – they’re for paying money between friends and family.
Also, Buyer Protection only applies to physical goods. It doesn’t cover:
- real estate
- digital or virtual
- prohibited items
- items you pick up in person.
Important to know: As a buyer, you have 180 days from the date you paid to raise a dispute with the seller. You then have 20 days from when you raised the dispute to make a claim.
Meeting in person
We still say meeting face-to-face somewhere safe is the best way to do it. That way you can check what you’re buying before you hand over any money.
But PayPal is the next best option.
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars