What are email alerts for?
You get email alerts if you ask us to send you a notification when someone posts something that might interest you.
How do I set a search alert?
Run a search on the site and click on ‘Go’ to get results. When you get to the listings page, you’ll see a button on the right which says ‘Set search alert’.
You’ll then get a pop-up box that says your alert is set and where you can find it. It also lets you switch the daily email alerts on or off. If you want to get updates when someone posts an ad that fits your search, leave this on.
The search you saved will then go to your ‘Manage my ads’ page under ‘My Alerts’. You’ll be able to switch the alerts on and off from here. If you have more than one saved search, you can choose which ones you want on or off. You can al2so delete the search completely.
Once you've set a search, apart from getting regular email updates from us about ads that fit your set search, you can also view these specific ads on your homepage. Go to the Gumtree Homepage and click on 'My Alerts'. You can find this under the main Gumtree banner.
Can I save ads as well?
Of course. If there’s an ad you like but want to save it for later, click on the ‘Favourite’ button on the right hand side of the page. You’ll see the star on the button change colour. To go back to it later, visit your ‘Manage my ads’ page and click on ‘Favourites’.
To remove ads you’ve saved in your favourites, you have to click on the star on the ad.
Quick tip: Ads you saved are sometimes deleted by the seller. The ad will still be in your favourites, but it will be marked as deleted.
Good to know: You can view ads you've marked as favourite, and ads from the search you saved on the homepage. Gumtree will show you ads that are 'Recommended', but you can click on 'Favourties' or 'Saved Searches' to view ads that suit you better.
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars