What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
Anything illegal or unsafe. Or something our Gumtree community has asked us not to list. If we feel you’ve put up a banned item, we’ll ask you to take it down, or take it down ourselves.
Here’s some guidance on what you’re not allowed to sell (in alphabetical order):
Definitely no animal parts, including parts of protected species. Though taxidermy is fine unless it’s a protected animal.
Animal Trapping Devices
With the exception of fish traps and pony traps (carts)
Here’s a full list of animals we don’t allow.
Unless they were manufactured after November 2015, due to safety risk concerns
Bongs and water pipes
Why? Because the MHRA says it’s prescription-only medicine.
Cigarettes and related products
Drugs and drug paraphernalia
Fake, replica or trademark items
Copies could be pirated, duplicated, backed-up, bootlegged or something else.
Firearms and ammunition (even if they’re legal to buy)
Paintball paraphernalia (goggles, gloves) is allowed
Fireworks of any kind
Get in touch with the FA or your club to find out how to exchange tickets.
Gas Meter Seals
Hate organisations of any kind
Human parts, remains or services
If you’d like to give your pass to someone else, get in touch with your council.
Personal information or mailing lists
Security tag removal items
You’re not allowed to sell blocked phones or no-signal phones either. We’ll help the police convict anyone who deals in stolen goods.
Did you know it’s illegal to sell supplements that contain DMAA?
Train, coach and bus tickets
Get in touch with the coach or rail company to find out how to exchange tickets.
That’s software to help you unlock any electronic item, like a phone.
Best to keep the following to yourself:
Virtual items and products
It’s illegal to buy or sell votes in the UK.
Weapons and knives
It’s fine to sell knives as part of cutlery set, though.
- I've had a bad experience on the site
- Am I safe if I used Paypal?
- When should I contact the police?
- I work with the police. How can I contact you?
- How do I post an ad?
- Which location should I post in?
- Which category should I post my ad in?
- How can I put photos on my ad?
- Are ads on Gumtree free?
- Do you have rules for posting ads?
- What can’t I buy or sell on Gumtree?
- Motors Posting Rules
- For Sale Posting Rules
- Pets Posting Rules
- Property Posting Rules
- Jobs Posting Rules
- Tickets Posting Rules
- Services Posting Rules
- Community Posting Rules
- Am I dealing with a good user?
- Do I have Payment Protection on Gumtree?
- Is the Payment Confirmation e-mail I've received real?
- Is this e-mail/sms from Gumtree?
- How can I recognise fake money?
- I want to update my ad
- Do I get a refund?
- How do I add features to my advert?
- How do 'Featured Ads' work?
- How does a 'Bump Up' work?
- How does 'Homepage Spotlight' work?
- How does the 'Urgent' feature work?
- I can't find my ad. What now?
- How do I search for ads?
- Can I save ads or searches for later?
- How does messaging on Gumtree work?
- How do I know how my ad is doing?
- I have an account but forgot my password
- Buying Pets Safely
- Buying & Selling Cars